Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thai Green curry


Thai food is one of my favorites. It is light , has a curry base usually and incredibly healthy.
This Green Curry is part of traditional Thai Cuisine and is made specially with with the green curry paste. Thai cooking uses their traditional versions of vegetables and spices like galangal, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves.
Last weekend my trip to the supermarket had a surprise in store for me. I discovered fresh lemongrass in the "Oriental " section. And of course I had to bag one and give it a try in my version of the curry. I could not lay my hands on any lime leaves though.
Also I skipped the fish sauce which I found was being used in all the authentic recipes. Instead I opted for soy sauce mixed with garlic paste and brown sugar.
The result was not too bad..... do try it out.

Thai Green Curry with Chicken:
boneless chicken: 1/2 lb cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces
eggplant:1 cup diced
red bell pepper: half of one julienne d
coconut milk:1 and 1/2 cup
soy sauce:1 and 1/2 tbsp
brown sugar:1 and 1/2 tbsp
garlic:1 clove chopped fine
canola oil:2 tbsp
green curry paste:2 tbsp (See below)
basil leaves:4-5(optional)
salt

Green Curry Paste: (yields around 1/2 cup)
garlic:3 cloves
coriander:handful of leaves and soft stems
lemon grass: half of one (I finally got one in the supermarket YAY! Find out how to work with the lemongrass here)
green chili:3 slit
shallots:4 chopped fine
ginger paste: 2 tbsp

Just make a paste of the above in the blender.

Heat the oil in a pan.
Add the green paste and fry for 2 minutes on low medium heat.
Add the coconut milk and let it come to a boil.
Add the chicken pieces and the egg plant.
Add the soy sauce , brown sugar and the garlic.
Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium heat.
Add 1/2 cup water, salt to taste and the red bell pepper.
Cook for 5-6 more minutes or until the eggplants are tender and the chicken is cooked. Garnish with the basil.
Serve hot with white rice and go on.... Dream THAILAND!

1 comment:

Kalyan said...

Just bumped here from Mallika's blog. A couple of weeks back I was doing some online research on bengali food blogs. My bad that I didn't across yours then.

Have bookmarked you and would pay visit once in a while.

BTW, you may want to check out the post on Top 7 Bengali Food Bloggers. May be you can find some new bloggers there.

Cheers!.